Addario Book Report

 

My Lynsey Addario Book Report


The Displaced-Lynsey Addario


“I often openly cried during the dozens and dozens of African women, who had endured more hardship and trauma than most Westerners even read, interviewed while in DRC (Democratic Republic of Congo). I was unable to process this violence and hatred towards women I was witnessing”. (Addario, chapter7,pg148) That quote gives you a real insight into the reason Lynsey puts herself in harms way to photograph the unseen casualties of war. The Women and the Children usually pay the highest price for Men’s need for power and control. Being a Woman gave unique access to the Women in mostly Muslim countries. She photographed Women in Afghanistan and Iraq with respect. She always asked if it was okay to take their picture. She was always amazed how these Women wanted to tell their story.

She didn’t just start out as a conflict photojournalist. She just happened to be in Afghanistan when 9/11 happened and since she was already there, she was able to the invasion by the Americans. She decided to document the effect of this conflict on the civilian population. Her photo techniques I will take with me as I’m on this crazy journalism journey I have undertaken is to always tell the stories of those voices that are not getting heard. This book opened my eyes to what is happening to people affected by conflict. Whether big or small, the conflict exacts a high price on both the soldiers and the civilians.

Lynsey had a personal life to balance out her mental stability. This was a big part of the book that was woven so gracefully in between the many stories she covered. She finally found a partner that was supportive of her work. Paul shows up halfway through the book. He is strong enough to endure months of assignments in hostel countries for months at a time. They would eventually get married. They would have a baby towards the end of the book. I am not going to lie but I both cheered and cried when I saw the picture of their baby boy.  Being pregnant didn’t stop her from doing one more dangerous assignment. I couldn't help but think she was crazy to put her job ahead of her baby. See, she had been captured in Libya for six days with three of her fellow photojournalists. This was a very traumatic experience for all four of them. I sure that was in the back of her mind the whole time she was on a ten-day assignment for The NY Times in Senegal.. While she was still missing in Libya, her husband, Paul, was on CNN with Ali Velshi. Velshi asked what Paul would say to Lynsey when they had the opportunity to speak again and Paul replied, “I’m going to say, you know, we gotta have kids.”(Addario,ch13,pg249)

   After reading the book “It’s What I Do” by Lynsey Addario I found myself seeing what I could use while in this Photojournalism class. I began to look for the little moments of humanity that we often overlook. I could see the beauty that was all around me and I could capture it and share with my fellow students..

  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet LBCC Baseball Coach Andy Peterson

You Can Call Me Dio

Environmental Portrait (and Mug Shot) Assignment