Mike's Journalism Second Term 2.0

 



This my family. From L to R Josh, Paige, Ben and Mike(me)

Hi everybody, well I made it to Winter term and I'm feeling good about this journey that I have begun towards finishing my higher education. Thanks for hanging with me as I find my writing voice that emerged after my stroke back in 2018. I would not have been here without the support of my loving wife and kids. They have encouraged me to be the best writer that I know has always been there inside my crazy brain. My journey back to LBCC, I went here 40 years ago, stems from the fact that I wanted to actually learn how to write stories. Journalism is something I'm passionate about. My age and experiences will let me bring more of an overall informed voice to my work. I want to bring more compassionate stories to life for the Commuter by getting to the heart of a story and the people who are in the story. That's why I choose Journalism as my major. 

Outside of school I do a lot of reading of fantasy, primarily by DragonLance, novels by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman. They are a dynamic duo that work together to bring characters to life in a way that makes you care and root for them as the save their world, each other and the magic. I am also a huge fan of both the Beavers and Seahawks football. This is the hardest part of the year when the season ends. I can hardly wait for the next season and what will happen this coming season with both of them starting over with new coaches.

My three goals are simple: 1) Write stories worth reading. I want to inspire other students to make reading the Commuter something they want to do and can't wait for the next issue to hit the stands. 2) Tell stories that make you say "I didn't know that" or "I want to be part of the solution" or "That sounds like an event I want to a part of or go to." I know that sound like a lot, but I know I can do it! 3) I want improve my writing every week that I'm in this class. I have great mentors in Rob Priewe and Sarah  Rose Larson that will push me as well guide me to be thorough when it comes to doing my research.

My first story I will be introducing Coach Andy Peterson of the mighty LBCC Baseball team. He will be bring a few players to my interview with him. You will have to wait until my story to find out who they are when I write the story. I will also get some quotes from the AD Mark Majeski. The story is my way of creating excitement for the upcoming season that starts next month. I read his Bio so I won't spend too much time asking questions about things we already know. My list of questions are going to be more than five but here are the top six questions I will ask:

1) How are you feeling practices are going so far?

2) Has the team responded well to goals and expectations you and your staff have set for this seasons?

3) Have you got an idea of your starting line-up? Position players and pitchers?

4) What do you feel is the strengths of this years team and what do you feel they still have to work on to achieve the team's goals?

5) Do you have a close relationship with the OSU baseball program? How and why?

6) Could you tell my readers something about yourself that is not on your bio page? Family and what are the hobbies you have outside of coaching?  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet LBCC Baseball Coach Andy Peterson

You Can Call Me Dio

Environmental Portrait (and Mug Shot) Assignment